AGM & Positions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

AGM & Positions

Post  Alex Worthington DOR on Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:00 pm

The AGM will be at 7.30 this Thursday the 22nd April at Tapton Halls. It is a chance for us all to discuss the club and for you guys to put yourselves forward and be seconded for next years committee. Voting will take place on Saturday morning in Tigers bar prior to the old boys game at 11am sharp.

Could you please also post on this feed if you’re a leaver who wants to play in the game and also add if you’re attending the evening.

Here is a description of the positions written by this year’s committee.

Club Captain

• Overall control of the club. Communicates with all members of the committee on pretty much all matters. Make sure everything is running smoothly.
• Organisation of committee meetings on a number of occasions during the year.
• Organise Gala Dinner.
• Point of contact for old boys. Send out update letters.
• Ensure all paper work during the year is completed.
• Determine how club funds are spent along with treasurer.
• Ensure that training is organised with other senior members of the club.
• Ensure transport is available for all training and matches.
• Point of contact for all members of the club if they have any difficulties.
• Point of contact for any individuals who need to contact Sheffield Medics RUFC.
Very difficult to define the exact role of the club captain. This year I’ve had a good relationship with all the members of the committee and have always discussed any matters that concerned them or the club. You pretty much need to know a little about all areas of the club, training, matches, 1sts, 2nds, 3rds, admin, money, transport, old boys, NAMs, RFU, international tickets, sponsorship, kit, socials, old boys, gala, abbeydale, norton.

First Team Captain

The main role of the first team captain is obviously the smooth running of the first team. His main privilege is to pick the squad for every game. This can be done incorporating the opinions of other senior players but the final decision rests with the captain and he is the only automatic selection (unless he drops himself!). He must then make sure everyone is available to play at the weekend, which sometimes takes some chasing up! The captain will also make sure everything else is in place for the weekend. This includes filling out the match card, getting it signed and posting it off to the league, as well as making sure match balls, water bottles and kit are there on the Saturday. The captain plays a large role on the actual day of matches, getting the team motivated for the game and taking the warm up etc, and obviously he leads the team on the pitch, liaising with the referee and making decisions on behalf of the team. The captain also plays a part in socials by awarding match awards!
Apart from his specific role towards the first team, the 1stXV captain is a very senior member of the squad and will help the club captain and anyone else organise training which is another difficult job. I found it best to try and get as much help as possible from other senior squad members as taking training all the time can be stressful and can stop you from training as well. As the first team captain will be an automatic selection, he must lead from the front and has to set an example in training and work just as hard as anyone else to prove that he deserves his starting place in the team.
Finally, the 1stXV captain is part of the committee of the club and therefore throughout the year will attend meetings and help out with any tasks appropriate such as fresher’s fair and trial, old boy’s etc.

2nd Team Captain

This position involves selecting a side every weekend. There must be plenty of contact with both the 1st and 3rd team captains to ensure those who deserve to go up to the relevant side get their chance and also on occasion to ensure players are getting game time. It is also important to speak to the fixture sec to ensure games are confirmed as expected.

On match days the captain is expected to provide directions if needed, ensure the team have kit, water bottles, balls etc, communicate with the ref and opposition as well as taking control of the team for the fixture.

Third Team Captain

The main role of the 3XV captain is to communicate with the new intake of club members and try to get them involved in the club from the word go. This means getting as many people involved in the first few games as possible to keep people in the club.

One of the new roles for 3XV captain is to help organise the 3XV fixtures with the fixture sec. This is a key role as you will find that several opposing clubs will drop out at the last minute due to not having a full strength 3XV on there part. Therefore good communication between fixture and 3XV captain is vital.

Another role that comes with the job is to have a good relationship with the 2XV captain as there WILL be frequent movement of players between the two teams, which may not be in your favour hence why a good relationship with the 2XV is needed.

You must be willing to talk to anybody who appears to enter the club and keep them happy. The whole point of Medics Rugby is that it is different to Uni and we’re a more open club, and it will be your job to make people feel welcome throughout the season!

Fixtures Secretary

The fixtures sec liases with other clubs and the leagues to produce a fixture list. Pitches are requested from Norton, and referees from the Yorkshire Referee Society pre-season. On a weekly basis, referees, pitches and opposition are confirmed, and any cancellations or rearranged league matches are dealt with. The fixtures secretary is in constant contact with the team captains, the league secretary, Norton, and referees. This role needs some considerable organisation but is rewarding and a good way to get involved in the club!

Club Secretary

• Ensuring that all club members are registered - regardless of whether they are freshers or not or whether they say they've filled out a registration form before or not. If they aren't on the previous season's list then they aren't registered.
• Repeatedly asking players (and i can't emphasise this enough) if there were any clubs that they were ever registered to, so that the registration forms aren't posted back to you covered in red pen, delaying player registration.
• Remembering to remove any players from the RFU registered players list that no one has ever heard of, registered before you did your GCSE's and never make it onto the team lists (Although i will try and cull most of this before handover).
• Taking down minutes at Committee meetings - not particularly difficult, unless you daydream as soon as the Director of Rugby (Club Captain) starts talking.
• Ensuring the match cards are given to captains before the game, filled out correctly and the result is called through before 5pm on match day.
• Acting as a point of contact for the league secretary (Kath McNally) and forwarding on any messages to the relevant committee members - although by midseason she'll always probably have just spoken to the first team captain before you ring her.
• Acting as a point of contact for other clubs - occasionally they will manage to ring or text the club secretary instead of the fixture secretary.
• Receiving post from the RFU - but most important information is sent via email or phoned through, so it inevitably turns out to be boxes full of RBS spam during the 6 Nations.
• Politely reminding those who've filled out their registration forms that London is not a country and neither is England a city.
• Remembering to sign off emails with your full title of Honorary Secretary Sheffield Medicals RUFC just because you can.

Treasurer

Help organise Gala Dinner.
Help organize tour
Help at the two sports fairs.
Look for new ways of sponsorship.
Sort out registration fees.

Handle all money in and out of the account which is:

Sort out payments with: Old boys and CNP and Kukri- stash, tour kit, match kit.
Sort out additional payments- FINES and RFU admin
Pay in cheques and cash to Natwest
Make monthly checks with the Natwest bank account with personal record of transactions

The main job is to make sure all the money that leaves and enters the bank is accounted for.

Tour Secs x2

Organise everything to do with tour including- dates/ transport/ destination/ activities/ opposition/ payments.

Most of the work needs to be done over the summer so that when we arrive back for a new year people can start planning getting time off (medics), how they’re gonna ask their parents for a lot of money that will literally be pissed the wall, book the weekend off with the RFU so we don’t lose points in the league etc etc.

There will be three members organizing the tour, two tour secs plus the treasuer. These are vital roles as in the past poor organization has almost bankrupt the club. The three will also need to take it in turns on tour to be the days leader!

Sponsorship/Kit Sec

This position involves canvassing local and national companies for sponsorship for the upcoming season. This is done using phone calls, email and letters.

Kit sec involves regular contact with Kukri and CNP to design and order all sexy stash.

The position involves working closely with the treasurer as the Kit sec handles lots of money, and therefore organisational skills are essential.

Social Secs

Social sec is a great position to apply for on the committe. It gives you the chance to interact with everyone in the club, freshers to old, whilst getting drunk and having fun. Is there anything more a person could want?

So what does it involve? Social sec involves running socials every saturday night along with inventing ingenious new fancy dress themes and events to keep everyone happy. You must organise freshers social which obviously has to be amazing along with old boys (in conjunction with club captain) at the end of the year, as well as maintaining regular socials. You also have to make sure food is organised for the home teams each week. Apart from that it involves getting drunk regulary, having fun and dishing out loads of fines! You have the power!

See you all for training as usual outside S10 at 6 tomorrow

DOR
Alex Worthington DOR
Director of Rugby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AGM & Positions

Post  aliwalls on Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:43 am

Could I just point out to the secretary that the number of people registered on rugby first has a direct impact on the number of international tickets we receive. So it may be worth keeping a few on if any of you want any international tickets in the future!

Also I am obviously wanting to play in the old boys game.

xx
aliwalls
Super Sub

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bolton on Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:06 am

I would love to play in old boys as im leaving, also i shall most definately be there in the evening!
bolton
3rd XV Captain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brownbear on Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:17 am

hey dave allanson uve gotta write up decent mintues for the agm coz i will need them if we change treasurer.
sorry mocca bear wont be around, but will be back for the saturday x
people who still owe matty money (and me for gala- CHRIS YU AND MIKE LONG) make sure we pay them very soon coz if u dont u will be havin one on one fitness with me when u get back from summer for the WHOLE session.

brown bear love x

brownbear
Pop Tart

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tissa on Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:48 am

i will obviously b at old boys al, and am leavin so wud appreciate a game? ;-) x

Tissa
1st XV Captain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave M on Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:28 pm

i will also be leaving and would therefore appreciate a game

Dave M
Super Sub

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dave a on Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:37 am

I too am leving and would appreciate a game.
dave a
Secretary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex 'Hippo' on Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:40 am

I am leaving too Crying or Very sad and would like to play x
Alex 'Hippo'
Super Sub

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam Taylor on Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:23 am

I too am leaving and would like to play please x

Liam Taylor
Fresher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dannycoe on Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:29 am

Im leaving and would like a run out of some sort
dannycoe
2nd XV Captain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hodson on Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:34 am

leaving, playing and attending

hodson
Bench Warmer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TomDrinkwater(Hallam Tom) on Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:33 am

I'm leaving too, and would love a run around x.
TomDrinkwater(Hallam Tom)
Super Sub

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top